Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ode to New England


I’ve been thinking about chowder. I’m not a big fan of potato chunks, dairy products have decided I am not their bosom friend anymore in quantities greater than tablespoons, and clams are, well, texturally, um… interesting, at best.

So, why am I thinking about chowder since these are all major ingredients in it? I want to find a way to make a tasty chowder that tastes as good to me as the chowders of my youth smelled. I am originally from Rhode Island, home of the quahog and many interesting ways to incorporate said invertebrates into recipes. Rhode Island had a clear broth chowder that I distinctly remember. I also remember experiencing some seafood bouillabaisses that were served in a trough for the whole table to share. Both of these were far more intriguing to me than milk based chowder.

I’ve been mulling the creation of chowder I’d like for a few days now. I walked to the local seafood market and bought some salmon trim for the protein, sautéed an onion, garlic, thyme and other herbs, then added chopped celery, two tomatoes and frozen corn. Yes, I’m cheating. In my defense, fresh corn on the cob won’t be in season for many, many months. I didn’t think my urge for chowder would wait that long. My concoction has been simmering in the cauldron much of the afternoon and is ready to eat.

The result: After dinner, I added more lemon juice and salt and will allow it to simmer. It’s tasty, yet it’s lacking something. Perhaps I’ll know tomorrow when I reheat it for lunch. It’s a recipe with promise.

Breathe deeply,
Laugh with abandon,
Love wholly,
Eat well.

MiLady Carol
www.miladycarol.com
Dazzling jewelry that reflects sparkling personalities!

No comments:

Post a Comment