Friday, April 3, 2009

Mini Greenhouses


Our verdant valley is experiencing some rather vacillating weather patterns. The temperature is in flux, the sun is coy, the rain is flirtatious and the hail is, well, the hail is a great exfoliant -- in other words, all is normal and well. Regardless of atmospheric convention, the trouble with an outdoor exfoliant is that young plants and sprouts are too tender to withstand rigorous scouring. A mere 20 minutes after I had planted my little veggie patch, the clouds rolled in and hail began bouncing ‘round the yard. I dashed off to the deck to retrieve my mini greenhouses and nestled them protectively over the little plantlets.

What are mini greenhouses? I’m glad you asked!

I know the weather is fickle and, allowing for Murphy’s Law, I figured that I’d have no sooner planted my garden than we’d have snow. I was close. No snow, yet there was hail that afternoon and frost the next morning. Ahh, Murphy. I both respect and despise you.

I digress.

I had asked my Mom to save her clear plastic water jugs for me. I cut the bottoms off and snugged them around the base of the new plants to create little individual greenhouses. This seems to be working pretty well. It’s both inexpensive and, so far, effective.

Breathe deeply,
Laugh with abandon,
Love wholly,
Eat well.

MiLady Carol
www.miladycarol.com
Dazzling jewelry that reflects sparkling personalities!

No comments:

Post a Comment